Friday 29 April 2011

The Installation of Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO)

It's been a real tough week for my second half of my holiday - I've been playing a load of Team Fortress for the first half, grinding achievements for the Sniper (mainly involving Jarate), and complaining about crafting a Voodoo Juju (when I wanted the skull). But this week has been different!

I've been desperately trying to install the free MMO, Lord of the Rings Online (I'll refer to it as LOTRO from now). To be honest, I have no idea when this game takes place - whether it's before, during or after the events of the three novels (exlcuding "The Hobbit", because there was aleady a game adaptation of that).

The first time I tried to install, it took around 3 days to do so. Why? Because - believe it or not - I wasn't using a dongle: I was using Talk-Talk broadband, but I had to do so wirelessly. I was only downloading at 100kb minimum.

My laptop screen Trollfaced me.

So then I decided to just let it download from 5AM to 9PM for around three days. Finally, the patcher appeared and I was overjoyed! But then I realized it was installing another 3 gigabytes on top of the six I'd recently downloaded! WHAT?!

My laptop screen Trollfaced me. Again.

So I agreed to install that 3gig, which took around two hours. When that was done, I tried logging in with BOTH OF MY CODEMASTERS AND TURBINE ACCOUNTS!!!! Did it work?! No.

My laptop screen Trollfaced me. Thrice.

That was when I realized I was installing the US version! Of course, how silly of me to not notice that THERE WAS NO NOTIFICATION OF THIS BEING THE UNITED STATES VERSION OF THE GAME!!!! So I uninstalled that, and in my rage, I roared. I would boast about reaching climax during that roar, but that would be stupid. And a lie.

So I installed the EU version of the game, which was ten gigabytes. Too much. I tried on my Iomega hard-drive, but apparently I didn't have permission. I gave it full access, but what happened? It wasn't part of Win32, and that really brought my piss to the boil. I suffered 3rd degree burns in my bladder. So then I decided to install it on my Data drive and - voila - it has done it!

So now I'm happy. I'm just around 75% installed, then we've got to extract the files, then install the patcher, and then I'm done! I'm ready to play LOTRO!

I'm probably happier than this kid here!



No comments:

Post a Comment