Friday 29 April 2011

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Kvatch Recovery

I have to hand it to Bethesda that they know how to destroy a city. You remember when you nuke Megaton just for a few bottlecaps? It gets blown to smithereens! Now that's what I call a conscience! But let's return to the thread at hand - we all know the Kvatch was utterly destroyed by the Daedra, leaving only a few soldiers and civilians alive. Surprisingly, no children were harmed (mainly because there aren't actually children in this game).


It was good to know that a lot of people there were putting up a good fight? Me? I just sat back and watched, drinking mana potions like I was a drainpipe and hurling healing spells at everyone. It was all very tense for the NPC soldiers - I got so tense at one point I nearly soiled my breeches--, but enough about that. Even when the Oblivion gate is destroyed and the area in 100% "purified", no-one decides to do anything about it's recovery. Instead, the knights whom I "fought alongside with" are in fact just standing there idle. Oh, and I do leave with a fancy dress and a shield with the Wolverhampton United logo on it, so that's a nice bonus.

Kvatch. Have you heard about it?

As a matter of fact I have - there are many mods available for the PC version of the game, which can repair Kvatch once you've finished the quests there. The Kvatch Arena is restored; people are moving back into their homes and chapels; the streets are much cleaner; the guards are regularly patrolling, and of course - everyone recognizes you as a hero. However, some mods will only restore what Kvatch used to look like, and will not do the above things. Some mods may even introduce a new character - a new Count of Kvatch! Plus, if the town had more quests with this mod, I'd certainly give up precious HDD space to play them (as I've done around 95% of all quests on the XBOX 360 version).

So what turned out to be an impossible challenge on the home consoles has turned out to be a rather quick and easy on for the PC - another triumph for modified content. See? Not all content ruins your game....

No comments:

Post a Comment